Smith Kids MSU Tailgate

Smith Kids MSU Tailgate
Dominica, Veronica, Rebel and Miranda

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

My First Memory of TV

When I was a lad, no older than ten, I used to watch Monday Night Football on my portable 4" black & white Television / Radio combo.  A real thing of beauty!!!  This great little gadget was a gift from my grandparents when they upgraded to a 8" (also black and white) television in my grandfather's garage.  The MNF games always started late; shortly after kickoff there was sure to be a warning from my mother on the floor below "you better turn that game off and go to sleep!"  Through some clever (at least for a 10 year old) arranging of my bed, I was able to strecth the 3 foot cord far enough to get the entire TV into my bed and hidden safely under the covers.  The blanket shielded any light pollution that might otherwise give me away, and if I could keep the volume very low I was able to watch the entire game undetected.  Through a series of unfortunate events, one fateful night my brilliant scheme was put to an end.  During a heated 4th quarter come back, my excitement was too much to keep hidden.  A series of what I thought were pretty mild cheers eventually tipped off my mother.  She raced up the stairs, tore the covers off of me, ripped the portable picture box out of my hands and hauled it away.  A tearful good bye to my first TV ever!!!

-Rebel

No comments:

Post a Comment