Smith Kids MSU Tailgate

Smith Kids MSU Tailgate
Dominica, Veronica, Rebel and Miranda

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Bandwagon

It's 4:40 and we’re still on the bandwagon!  Our television is still turned off!  This is nothing short of a miracle after the trials and tribulations of the past two days. What does it really mean to be “on the bandwagon” and “where did that saying come from anyways?”  I asked my husband these very questions last night as we lay in bed. I was already busy thinking about my next story for the blog.  Well he didn’t know the answers either so I did a little research this morning. The research was  nothing fancy, I just googled it, but I found a common acceptable definition to be, “When someone adopts a popular point of view for the primary purpose of recognition and/or acceptance by others”.  The use of this term originated back when political parties travel on wagons and in order to show support for your candidate you would literally get on his wagon.  This discovery, of course, forced me to reexamine my initial statement of the day. 

Maybe, we aren’t really still on the band wagon.  Maybe we were never even on it at all. Deciding to turn our television off for the year is definitely not a popular point of view and we certainly are not doing it for recognition or acceptance by others.  Mostly we are doing it as I mentioned in my initial story to focus on three main goals:  To get our house cleaner and more organized, to focus on developing better social relations (both within our immediate family and with outside friends and family) and to help us form healthier lifestyle habits as a family. So maybe we are trying to start a NO TV 2011 bandwagon and so far my siblings and I are the only ones on it.  That may be the simplest way to analyze this situation.  But I think it is safe to say regardless of how you evaluate this stuff we are still on the bandwagon because our TV is still turned off!   
vern out!   







 

No comments:

Post a Comment