Smith Kids MSU Tailgate

Smith Kids MSU Tailgate
Dominica, Veronica, Rebel and Miranda

Monday, February 21, 2011

The Sand Lot

Okay so as I write this the kids are watching the movie, The Sand Lot.  It isn't as bad as it sounds, or as bad as it could've been though.  This morning I gave serious consideration to having a pajama and movie day.  Yes I thought about creating an entire day of us all lounging in front of the television playing movie after movie in our jammies while eating whatever junk food sounded appealing.  Kara was up most of the night coughing as she has been for the past three days and nights.  It is getting old. 

Anyhow, I was once again operating on less sleep than a newborn's mother when I was planning today.  Sleep deprivation really significantly alters what seems realistic or possible so at 7:30 this morning what didn't seem possible was doing anything that required that I move or display any level of enthusiasm. And what did seem possible was consuming coffee and something sinfully sweet while watching PBS Kids for the entire morning.  I was dog tired.  I even went so far as to call Miranda for her opinion on the situation.  I ran my idea by her that included the coffee, desserts and PBS for the entire day.  I told her, "if I am gonna blow it, then I might as well completely blow it".  She laughed and said "I am not going to tell you it is okay".  However, Cousin Haleigh had a snow day and called a short time later to see if she could come over to play for the day.  Miraculously, they were not scared of our germs, or they just figured it was too late since we had spent time together this weekend.  Either way, Haleigh came to play!  It is amazing that adding one child can actually make a day easier for the adult in charge.  Yes adding Haleigh to the mix actually made the day easier for me.  She is entertaining to the kids and older so she helps to make sure the others do not hurt or kill one another.  It is a beautiful thing. 

We spent the morning cleaning the kids' bedrooms. Well technically I cleaned and the kids mostly uncleaned, but I will take what I can get in the bedroom cleaning department.  Then we played doctor (a lot), played beauty parlor (a lot), played with play dough (a lot) and read books (you guessed it-- a lot).  Miraculously, we made it to lunch without TV!! And then Grandpa called to see if the kids wanted to come to their place to play for a couple hours. Well, duh, of course they did.  Anyhow the kids (minus Hazel) all went and played until quiet time.  Grandpa gets bonus points for all of his help today.  He even let the kids paint while they were there which means they are much less likely to bug me to do the same thing here after the movie.  Quiet time is currently under way and with Kara sick and AJ in desperate need of quiet so that he would actually get some sleep, I made the decision to allow one movie.  That is why The Sand Lot is currently being shown on our television set. I have plans for after quiet time which include the bath tub, millions of bubbles some old bath toys and my good old imagination!
Vern Out

1 comment:

  1. very impressed vern!! after talking to you this morning I figured you were going to crack :)

    ReplyDelete