Smith Kids MSU Tailgate

Smith Kids MSU Tailgate
Dominica, Veronica, Rebel and Miranda

Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Co-ed Baby Shower!

I should've know that Kara's dry heaving yesterday morning was more than just a five minute ordeal.  I'm a seasoned mom. I should know these things.  I guess I just wanted to pretend like maybe it was just a fluke or a little five minute cold bug or something.  But seriously, how many five minute cold bugs have you had in your lifetime?  Probably not too many. Deep down I think I knew she was coming down with something nasty, but she insisted she was fine and I wanted her to be fine so we went ahead with our normal day.  The nasty virus seemed to invade her body yesterday shortly after attending school.  So unfortunately we probably inadvertantly shared it with others. She returned home to sleep the entire afternoon.  Then Kara, AJ and daddy watched The Little Mermaid while mommy went to the super cool game night that you already heard about compliments of Mird (Hey Mird-thanks for writing BTW since our other siblings never actually do).  What a bunch of slackers Domid and Rebel are.  Anyhow, Kara slept the entire day today as well. She was only awake long enough to dry heave some more into an old icecream bucket.  Oh the joys of motherhood!  Suffice it to say, that it has been a long couple of days for all of us, but no worries the TV remains off other than last night's showing of The Little Mermaid and I really believe that Kara earned that one.  She is really feeling yucky.

I know I have already said this a few times before, but I just have to say it again, "I have the best in-laws in the world".  They were at it again, being super helpful without forcing an ounce of guilt upon us tonight.  Even with Kara so sick, they still watched all three kids for the evening so that Jeff and I could go to our friends' co-ed baby shower. Yes I did say co-ed and baby shower in the same sentence.  The co-edness and the baby shower were happening simultaneously in the same place.  It's kind of a scary concept.  We had planned the night out months ago and then with Kara sick I feared we may have to miss it.  Jeff, of course, celebrated that we may have to miss it.  As most guys would be, he had been skeptical of the whole "shower" so he saw Kara's illness as an opportunity to get our of going.  Thank goodness for Grandma and Grandpa's generosity to care for Kara because we would have missed such a good time.  Jeff even admitted to having a great time!

Who knew a co-ed baby shower could be SO COOL!  My friend Reese did an INCREDIBLE job planning this gig.  Leave it to the friend who doesn't plan to have kids to throw the coolest Baby Shower ever.  The home-made Horse Racing Game was a huge hit!  Everyone loved it.  Even Jeff!  I don't know if you remember, but creating the game was one of my first NOTV projects I completed this year. Seeing it up and "running" made this weekend even more special for me.  All of the grueling hours spent making the game finally paid off in hours of fun had with friends and family this weekend. It was hands down the funnest baby shower I have ever been to and that includes my own.  Of course, for sentimental reasons my own showers would still be classified as my favorites, but as far as entertainment goes my showers didn't even compete with Rachel and Aaron' s shower today.  We got to see friends we hadn't seen in years and the food was great as well.  It was just an awesome time.  So as Mird so wisely said, "I hate to think of what I would have missed if I had been watching TV today".

Vern Out

No comments:

Post a Comment