Smith Kids MSU Tailgate

Smith Kids MSU Tailgate
Dominica, Veronica, Rebel and Miranda

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

State FFA Convention

As the Agriculture Teacher at Fremont High School I am also in charge of the FFA Chapter (formerly Future Farmers of America).  Last week was our annual State FFA Convention in Lansing.  This three day event brings students from all across the state to the campus of M.S.U. to compete in contests, recognize outstanding young people and make some new friends.  It makes for a lot of long days and short nights but is definitely one of the highlights of the year.  I was especially fortunate this year to have a great group of students who were nominated for some big awards.  It was an emotional roller coaster filled with laughter and tears.  I didnt really think about it till I got back home, but for those three days I didnt even miss TV.  Not that I have been watching a lot of TV (I would say I am still 95% TV free) but I didnt miss it at all.  The message for me is that the times in your life you are going to remember are likely not going to be time spent watching TV.  I will admit, I remember exactly where I was and the TV I was watching on 9-11, and I still get chills when I watch Kerri Strug (spelling) hit the vault with a broken leg to win a US Gold Medal.  But, most of the memories I want to remember are spent interacting with people.  So, as the year continues along, I will strive to spend more time with the people I love involved in worthwhile activities. 

-Rebel

No comments:

Post a Comment