Smith Kids MSU Tailgate

Smith Kids MSU Tailgate
Dominica, Veronica, Rebel and Miranda

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Hanging Tough

So far so good...My plan to read, write, run and relax (in my sweet new bath tub) my way through the year seems to be going smashingly well!  I really am blessed to have this nice new home, great friends and family and a growing relationship with God.  I thank Him each day for all of this and for a recent television watching moment that I enjoyed so much. 

The recent MSU Spartan victory in triple over time at the Outback Bowl was INCREDIBLE.  That is one moment in television history that I am certainly glad to have witnessed firsthand.  However, the watching of the MSU game is the only television watching I have done in 2012 (other than the tail end of the Lions game which was a sad one and which I could have definitely lived without). 

We have been too busy packing, moving, unpacking, cleaning, and otherwise playing house to watch much television of late, even sports.  Technically the NOTV deal ended when the clock struck midnight on New Year's Day; I guess the whole thing turned into a pumpkin or something like that. But I have decided to adopt my personal habits as permanent ones so during the day the TV is off. So far the kids have not raised the question about television (fortunately I don't think they understand the concept of a year) so it has been relatively easy to continue living TV free; I have not reached a point where I feel acceptable turning on Ellen so I have not spoiled myself that way...yet.  Maybe by March or April I will have the house together enough to splurge on an episode although I am not entirely sure how to operate our television anymore.  Details, details.  I just hope the kids don't figure out years or that 2012 is a New Year anytime soon because that would make my continued NOTV life much more difficult.

On the reading front, I just read my first book of this year entitled "If I can't be at your feet".  It is a great easy read and for any dog lovers out there you MUST get this and read it.  Also notable about this one is that the author is a local Fruitport resident and her son goes to school with Kara.  It really is a small world.  You can pick a copy up at Orchard Market stores if you are interested.  Next week is book club where we will finally discuss Thornbirds.  It seems like an entire lifetime ago since I read that.  When it comes to writing, I am trying really hard to work on my book stuff more, but I am struggling right now.

Anyhow, I am still running everyday, God willing, until at least April and it does make me feel really great to hit the trail even in this cold, snowy weather.   As an added benefit Stan is LOVING it and I am sure he benefits from the exercise as much as I do.  I take him with me each night and we head out on the trails behind our house.  I must look really bizarre because I have a head lamp on, various out dated pieces of winter clothing, none of which match whatsoever and I run when everyone else is heading to bed.

So I am in the wise words of the New Kids on the Block, "hangin' tough" with NOTV, lots of running, reading and writing.  Hopefully soon I will get in some more relaxing in my sweet tub although with all the work involved with moving to the new house I am not sure this will be the case.

Vern Out

No comments:

Post a Comment