Smith Kids MSU Tailgate

Smith Kids MSU Tailgate
Dominica, Veronica, Rebel and Miranda

Monday, April 4, 2011

The first quarter update

So we are a fourth of the way done with the year of no TV; a quarter of 2011 is already behind us!  It's hard to believe isn't it?  It seems like just yesterday we were watching the ball drop saying farewell to television at our friend's New Years party. I figured an update on our progress would be a good idea since we have reached such a monumental milestone so here goes:

First of all, I am the only sibling that is left standing as far as providing regular updates on our NOTV2011 social experiment goes. But the other siblings are still participating, they just are not writing about it.  Dominica is the exception. She is pretty much watching regular television although less than she used to do (Domin-correct me if I am wrong on that, but from our conversations I gathered as much to be true).  My goal for the next quarter is to get my siblings writing again if even just a few sentences once a week because I know our readers like to hear from other viewpoints, not just mine. Dominica is going to be in town this week so we are all getting together for Sunday dinner so they will all hear from me in person on the matter then.  Hopefully we will see some feedback from the other Smith kids next week!

The house is still cleaner, but not as clean as I would like it to be. I am still working on my lent goal to remove clutter from our lives so until Easter I figure I have some wiggle room with the housework stuff.  It is definitely a work in progress, not a completed masterpiece.  Along the same lines, the sheets are still getting changed more regularly though not as much out of necessity as just out of habit which I suppose is a good thing that I have developed the habit of changing our sheets regularly. However, the additional sex has tapered off at our house over the past month.  I don't know about my siblings in this department, they may still be mating like rabbits without their televisions, but we are back to our usual deal.  Which is probably why I have caught Jeff cheating lately, not with another woman which would be forgiveable, but with the.television which is unforgiveable (just kidding).  If I go away, when I get home he almost always has the TV on now.  This was not true back a month ago so another goal of mine is to resolve this cheating issue with Jeff during the next quarter.  It may resolve itself if the weather gets nicer because Jeff then spends all his time outside when it is nicer!

So all in all life without television is every bit as blissful as I imagined it would be.  I am still thoroughly enjoying it.  I am still reading a lot both with the kids and on my own.  Once I had kids I had pretty much given up reading stuff for me until this year so I am really enjoying my adult reading material.  It is great!  I will be enjoying life without TV even more once the Butler Bulldogs win tonight and ends all this March Madness craze. 

I am faster now that I gave up television too and I am still skinnier despite my most recent cooking spree.  I admit it may just be coincidence, but I dont think so.  In the year of NOTV so far I have run three races and I have won awards at all three.  In the past I never really won awards so this is a new thing.  My most recent race was a victory and I won my first trophy ever which is way cool.  Additionally, I am still at least six pounds lighter than I was on January first some scales show me at an eight pound loss and I am a woman so it goes without saying that this is way, way cool.

My final thought on the matter, at least for now, is this.  Last night I was leisurely soaking in a piping hot bath totally relaxed (if you read my most recent M-live story that will post later today, you will appreciate that total relaxation does not come easily to me) and when I opened my eyes I saw something totally horrific. It was awful. The mold is starting to grow back on the ceiling.  I could not believe it since it has only been three months since I was so dangerously scrubbing the ceiling in my first NOTV cleaning frenzy. So during this second quarter, I fear that a return trip to the barstool in the bathtub to scrub the ceiling will be necessary as well. Pray for my survival from this one; it truly is extremely dangerous up there.

Vern Out

No comments:

Post a Comment