Smith Kids MSU Tailgate

Smith Kids MSU Tailgate
Dominica, Veronica, Rebel and Miranda

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

AARRGHH

I am not typically an overprotective mom.  I let my kids fall down. I let them make their own mistakes to learn things.  I let them eat things off the floor--without a five second rule.  I even let them eat dirt and other disgusting things (within reason) and I try to encourage them to think for themselves.  Anyone who knows me can vouch for the fact that I am not an overprotective mom in the least. 

But today at the library, I became irritated with another adult for her complete wreckless behavior.  She actually brought what I believe were two of her grandsons to the library to play. This in and of itself is a good thing, but not so much when they had been diagnosed with strep throat yesterday morning.  How ridiculous is that?  How can she sleep at night? 

I have been hanging out at home for nearly a week waiting for my kids to get over this cold. I took them to the doctor to make sure it wasnt strep throat since I heard it was going around and the first day we braved going out in public this happens.  I was completely disgusted with the situation and with the lady for her poor choice.  I bet she could have just stayed home and watched television or a movie with the kids too. Not like me the past week living with three sick kids and no television to entertain.  The worst part was she only announced the strep throat information after Hazel had managed to steal a sippy cup out of the diaper bag she had left on the floor and was drinking from it; it will truly be a miracle if we do not end up with a batch of strep throat here at our house.

I can admit that I was not totally innocent in the whole thing I should have gotten to Hazel before she got to the sippy cup, but the bag was unsupervised on the floor where all the kids play.  Worse yet, the bag was holding a sippy cup that presumably is infected with strep throat bacteria so in my opinion she should have had that sippy cup under lock and key. 

Her announcement was completely devastating to me and I quickly rounded the kids up and headed back home where it is safe.  Another mom with a newborn had already packed up after the announcement and was on her way faster than I was so I don't think I was the only parent there that found the situation to be bad.  I don't think I was overreacting or being over protective.  I really was just trying to avoid another week with sick kids at home and no television to entertain them.

It really stressed me out, but don't worry we are not watching television today.  We have been playing house, making cupcakes and reading our new books from the library.  With any luck we won't end up with strep throat for the rest of spring break although I don't hold much hope for that.

Vern Out

No comments:

Post a Comment