Smith Kids MSU Tailgate

Smith Kids MSU Tailgate
Dominica, Veronica, Rebel and Miranda

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Where the red fern grows

Since March is National Reading month (or something like that), Kara and I have spent even more time than usual reading.  If we are not outdoors playing with our rocks or otherwise enjoying nature, then you can bet we are indoors enjoying a good book.  Part of the reading deal is that we also have a chapter book we are working on at all times. At many critical point during the past few years I would recall lines from the book "Where the Red Fern Grows" by Wilson Rawls.  If you haven't read it, check it out from the library and read it at once.  Really no one should go through life without having experienced this one.  It was one of the standard issue reading books when I was in fifth grade, but I am not sure if kids are still reading it today in English class. But they should be if they aren't.  Maybe that is what's wrong with our society?

Anyhow, I hadn't read it since fifth grade, but the message about meeting God halfway and working hard to achieve your goals really stuck in my head even after all these years.  Plus I simply love dogs so I decided to get it and read it for our most recent chapter book.  Boy I am so glad that I did.  Even though I didn't get through it without some tears.  It really is an exceptional book. I still had my original copy from back in the day on my old book shelf at my parent's place. The last time we ventured north I picked it up and we read it quickly in less than a week.  Kara absolutely loved it.  And now when something is really hard she will say "Billy Coleman would ask God for help and then work for a really long time to do it".  Way cool.  Then Friday night we had movie night and watched the flick (thanks Kate for the loan).  Miraculously, Kara liked the book better than the movie!  I never thought I'd hear her say that as she is my biggest TV junkie (after Jeff).

Anyhow, that is what we've been up to not much happening on the telly although we did watch the movie and we did tune in to the NCAA games last night.

Vern Out

No comments:

Post a Comment